Seven people, including four children, were hurt in an evident drive-by shooting Friday night in Mesa, Arizona, authorities stated.
The incident took place around 9:30 p.m. local time in a car parking lot where a crowd was gathered, police stated. A car drove by and opened fire on families visiting food vendors, authorities stated.
The victims consisted of 3 adults and four kids ages 1, 6, 9 and 16, Mesa Police Department Chief Ken Cost said Saturday afternoon throughout a press briefing. The children were from multiple families.
The 1-year-old was hospitalized in “extremely critical” condition, Cost said, while the other victims had non-life-threatening injuries that varied from minor to severe.
“This is ravaging, this is an unfortunate day,” Cost stated.
The shooting took place after passengers of a white SUV stopped in the middle of the road and opened fire toward the food area, where numerous families were eating, Cost stated.
One of the food vendors returned fire at the car, and it is not known at this time if it was struck, police stated.
No suspects have been arrested, police stated.
Investigators have not discovered any link between the criminals and the victims, Cost said. They are also working to figure out if an incident in the very same car parking lot previously that day, which a food vendor intervened while a man was supposedly assaulting a lady, is linked to the shooting, the chief said.
“This type of senseless, evil violence will not be tolerated in our city or anywhere else,” Cost said, urging people to come forward with any information.
Officers and investigators were processing the scene on Saturday and speaking to witnesses. Video of the scene caught by Phoenix ABC affiliate KNXV revealed tents from the event still set up in the parking area.
“We’re in the early stages of trying to find out who did this, and what motive there might have been for this incident,” Mesa Police Department spokesperson Detective Nik Rasheta said Friday night during a press briefing at the scene.